Tuesday, May 6, 2014

A Tiny Rant (Confession?) About Typos

I spent hours today slaying typo bugs. Silly, stupid, asinine one or two character typos that I shouldn't have made in the first place, or at least should have caught as I was typing them. There's one more out there in the wilds of my code that I'm going to spend twenty minutes looking for tonight. If I can't find it by then, I'm switching tasks and hitting it again in the morning. (Alarm's already set for 4am.)

I know that one solution is to sleep more. I've been around the block enough times to know that I make stupid mistakes when I'm overtired. Another solution is to drill my typing more. I have a plan for the latter: Typing.io is a freemium online typing tutorial that uses actual code for typing practice. I'm going to do a quick drill tonight right before bed and plan to build it in to my am/pm routine.

The former is a bit more difficult. I'll chew on that while I type tonight.

P.S. Oh, and there's this great one-liner for debugging Capybara that the great Philip Crawford introduced me to. Add save_and_open_page as a breakpoint in your failing test. It will give you a little snapshot on what on earth is going on. For more, see: Jeff Kreeft Meijer's blog post.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Questions? Complaints? Coladas?