Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Procrastination Sucks

Yes, I am a recovering procrastinator. I have many excuses: I'm very busy, full-time job, kids, etc., etc., etc.

I think I may have finally found what will break me of my procrastination habit. I missed the application deadline for the Ada Developers Academy by a few hours because I was too afraid to actually start submitting the application. I read the assignment, created and even uploaded the YouTube video, everything. My fear held me back.

So.

Luckily, the ADA curriculum is open sourced on Github, so I'm following along. I'm working through Learn Ruby the Hard Way right now. I'm planning to use the overall timing structure of the ADA to keep me on track and focused and put a little fire under me. When it comes time for the real ADA students to start their internships, I'm going to take a deep breath and find something that at least resembles an internship for myself. I have no problem advocating for my kids. It's time I did it for myself, too.

So, back to work. I'm going to blog along the way. (And if I have to create an entry that says "I sucked and didn't do any learning today," I will. Just one of those that pop up on a Google search should keep me in the game.

Edited to add: my favorite little pep talk bit from Learn Ruby the Hard Way is this:
  • Remember that everyone makes mistakes. Programmers are like magicians who like everyone to think they are perfect and never wrong, but it's all an act. They make mistakes all the time.
Followed closely by the descriptions of the types of people who will insist you need to use a Mac or Linux if you're going to be "real" programmer. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Questions? Complaints? Coladas?