Monday, August 11, 2014

Time Flies Like an Arrow and Fruit Flies Like a Banana

That's my new little motivational mantra. Someday, I will help create a computer that understands that sentence.

Back in the present, though, here's a run-down of what I've been up to in the Open Historical Map project:

Week 11: July 28 - August 3[edit | edit source]

  1. We're jumping into the rendering now. Most of the work will be in ohm_mod_tile, especially renderd and the master daemon program.
  2. I posted the IRC log here (tried to strip out the filler /leave, /join, etc)
  3. RENDERING
    1. This file is proving vital but elusive: home/tim/ohm-carto/ohm-carto/mapnik 2008.xml (UPDATE: I have the file now, but...)
  4. The bulk of the renderer is written in C and C++ (with a lot of Bash and some inline SQL for good measure.)
    1. I am v e r y s l o w l y and carefully modifying the renderer to accept the {t} parameter. It's been many years since I've even looked at C code (and that was in an introductory C class.)
    2. I'm relying heavily upon the 'git grep' command (tracking here).
    3. I'm logging my progress so I can keep track of what I've changed and where: git diff log.
  5. I don't want to lose this reference (is this Momento?):
    1. on line 245 in mod_tile.c, ~~bzero~~ recv() (bzero is used to zero out the bits at &resp to prepare it for the map tiles) and sends &resp to get the tiles from the database over a websocket
  6. I am really deep in the weeds here in C. I am going to take a little time to read up more in the man pages and go through some more of the tutorial over on Learn Code the Hard Way

Week 12: Aug 4 - Aug 10[edit | edit source]

  1. Made some changes to my changes (meta!) to the renderd.py byte packing/unpacking directive.
    1. IRC log on discussion here
    2. updated diff log here
    3. link on languages and urls from Chippy
    4. link on parameterization of mapnik tiles from Chippy
  2. The OHM Team had our monthly Google Hangout notes
  3. Re-attempting to install dependencies to run test server, instructions here for Mapnik and here for mod_tile
  4. After much searching (and an upgrade to gcc, I finally got it all running well enough to attempt to compile.
    1. Sadly, MediaWiki's spam filter is preventing me from posting a link to the very helpful blog that walked me through the task of upgrading my C/C++/Java compiler. If you visit charette.no-ip.com:81/programming/2011-12-24_GCCv47, you'll get to the instructions.
  5. I am now working on fixing the massive list of warnings and errors that running make generated for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Questions? Complaints? Coladas?