Week 5: June 16 - June 22
- I spent far too long this week chasing Heroku errors in an attempt to get a live version of my time_slider2 branch online. After an IRC chat with my mentor, I cut my losses and moved on to the next task:
- Capturing the start_year value entered from the TimeSlider
- I found a new resource: a StackOverflow-style QA page for OSM
- Regrettably, this resource seems focused on map-editing users. It did help me discover when I was headed (meandering?) down the wrong track with the router file in Rails and needed to pivot and work on the router.js file.
- This was a real Edison week. I found a dozen different ways that don't work. Still at it.
Week 6: June 23 - June 29
- Completed and submitted my mid-session evaluation.
- I'm not where I thought I would be at this point in the session. There is a tremendous difference between the code used in tutorials and student-level projects and the real, live code that lives out in the wild.
- I'm having a meeting with my mentor on Tuesday, and hopefully that will give me some grounding.
- I'm making an effort to commit more often and to push up my commits to my branch more regularly. I've been fearful about doing so but last week, I caught myself trying the same failed function twice. Having all of my commits with failures noted well help stop me from doing that in the future.
- I made some baby steps toward success: